My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Experience

A good portion of the Philippine blogosphere (including myself) considered September 6, 2008 a special day because it was WordCamp Philippines 2008 day.

And that day started really early because I had to polish the presentation I was going to give as a plenary session for WordCamp. My topic was something very close to my heart-- Web Standards and WordPress-- two of the main components of this blog. Since I left the house late in the morning, that meant I had to miss a significant part of the day's talks. :( (This should be a lesson to me not to wait for the last day/hour/minute.)

The past week was already doozy for me because I had already given a talk at the Y4IT Conference on Wednesday, and then the WordCamp a few days later. (I think Jayvee and Juned had the same schedule) The two talks were significant, yet contrasting. Y4IT was like a rock concert, and WordCamp was more like an Unplugged event where it was more grounded and intimate.

When I arrived at the College of St. Benilde, it was in the middle of the i.ph talk. I met a few folks from the organizing committee who were extremely helpful. What they lacked in facilites, they really made up by the personal attention towards me and effort.

I was slotted after Aileen's Google Analytics presentation and once I got to the stage, I had some more clarity to what WordCamp was really all about. Unlike talks I've done before, I didn't feel like an expert lecturing people, but a peer to the audience sharing what I like and do. We were all bloggers or somehow involved in blogging, so it was easier to draw from my experiences. In the end, I really felt good about giving the presentation.

Unfortunately, I had to scoot immediately after my talk because of another commitment so I wasn't able to meet more bloggers and get my photo taken with WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg. (Damn!) I did attend the afterparty at the mag:net cafe where I went up to the stage again and performed with the resident Rock-a-oke band, the Johnny's.

Kudos to the Mindanao Bloggers, the volunteers and the Pinoy Blogosphere for making WordCamp Philippines 2008 possible. :)

I've culled this list form Jehzlau's blog (I hope he doesn't mind), where he has a compilation of the WordCamp Philippines 2008 posts. This list is up-to-date as of this writing so check his blog post out, which he updates:

  1. The Best and Most Memorable Blogger Event in the Phils by Jehzeel Laurente
  2. I Got Wordcamped! by Tess Termulo
  3. The First WordCamp in Southeast Asia by Adrian Jeric Peña
  4. My WordCamp Experience by Master Betong
  5. WordCamp Philippines by Hannah Rika Villasis
  6. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Nina Fuentes
  7. Matt at WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Binary Silver
  8. Matt Mullenweg Highlights from WordCamp Phils by The Bachelor Girl
  9. WordCamp Philippines Report by Fear the Spork
  10. WordCamp Philippines Shirt Please by Evenly Piece
  11. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Alrenz Cabasa
  12. WordCamp Philippines 2008: A Success!
  13. WordCamp Phils, 1st Southeast Asia WordCamp by Ana Katharina Pena
  14. WordCamp Philippines 2008 Aftermath by Zero Blade
  15. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Mae Paulino
  16. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Green Bucks
  17. Matt Mullenweg by Charmed Mom
  18. WordCamp PH 2008 and Afterparty by Carlo Reid
  19. WordCamp Philippines After-Party by The WordCamp Philippines Blog
  20. WordCamp Philippines 08 by Project 365 Days
  21. WordCamp 2008 Philippines by Karla Redor
  22. Live Blogging from WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Spilled Lustre
  23. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Aja Lapus
  24. Experiencing WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Here’s to Life!
  25. WordCamp Manila Blow-by-blow by Jonel Uy
  26. Just got home from WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Jayvee Fernandez
  27. Bloggers’ Event: WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Ada Lajara
  28. WordCamp Philippines 2008 Winners and Bloopers by Funny Sexy
  29. WordCamping 2008 by Billycoy
  30. Ernie Meets Matt Mullenweg by AJ Matela
  31. Matt Mullenweg, Volunteers, and WordCamp Phils by Misteryosa
  32. The WordCamp in Philippines by Mark Aethen Agana
  33. Matt Mullenweg by Animo Hosting
  34. WordCamp Manila 2008, I was there! by Sha Ang
  35. On WordCamp 2008 and Meeting MrWordpress by Diventare.org
  36. My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Experience by Regnard Raquedan
  37. WordCamp Philippines Status Report by AWB Holdings
  38. Live from De La Salle CSB, Marocharim is at WordCamp! by Marocharim
  39. For the Love of Wordpress by Kristina Ana Matanguihan
  40. WordCamp Pilipinas Success by Ikabon
  41. WordCamp 2008: For Healthy and Wealthy Blogging by Hitokiri Hoshi
  42. WordCamp 2008 Philippines Success by Arvin’s Thoughts
  43. WordCamp, Meeting Matt Mullenweg by Miss Wicked
  44. Meeting Matt at WordCamp 2008 by Urriza.net
  45. Finally, WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Estan
  46. Toothache VsWordCamp Philippines by George Putong
  47. Notes and Photos, WordCamp Philippines a Success by Tonyo Cruz
  48. Some WordCamp Philippines Afterthoughts by Undercover
  49. Live Blogging in WordCamp by Pageman
  50. My WordCamp Experience by Junele Malaga Caravana
  51. WordCamp Philippines A Success! by Wordpress Philippines
  52. Bakla Goes to WordCamp Philippines by Bakla Ako
  53. My WordCamp 2008 Experience by Micaela Rodriiguez
  54. WordCamp 2008 Philippines: It’s a success! by Joyceish
  55. My WordCamp 2008 Experience by Fitz Villafuerte
  56. A Personal Evaluation of WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Danny Arao
  57. An Event Which I Failed To Attend by Dexter Panganiban
  58. The Wordpress WordCamp Fever by Pinoy Web Listing
  59. WordCamp Philippines by Batang Yagit
  60. Philippine WordCampers 2008 by Sabrina Lajara
  61. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Roanna Roro
  62. On Meeting with MrWordpress, Web Standards and Other Stuff by Shari
  63. WordCamp Philippines 2008 Highlights by Sophia Lucero
  64. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Mong Palatino
  65. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Rowjielogy
  66. I was WordCamped by The Industrious Time-Waster
  67. HURAH! for WordCamp Philippines by Migs Hipolito
  68. WordCamp is on today at De La Salle - CSB by AIM CSB
  69. WordCamp Philippines 2008 Updates by Teacher Julie
  70. My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Experience by Icezorg
  71. I was at WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Gail Villanueva
  72. WordCamp Philippines 2008 Ramblings by Sarah Cada
  73. Weekend Snapshots #6 WordCamp Philippines by Joni Ang
  74. My WordCamp 2008 Experience by Paul Villacorta
  75. Success! by WordCamp Philippines Blog
  76. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Tina Elaine
  77. On Being a Remarkable Responsible Blogger by Scrumptious Anime Blog
  78. Word-F’N-Camp! by The Deranged Writer
  79. WordCamp Philippines 2008 - a success! by The Mindanao Bloggers
  80. WordCamp Philippines, below expectations by Kevin Georg Paquet
  81. My WordCamp Experience by The Grape Bunch
  82. WordCamp Philippines 2008: Wicked! by Andrew Dela Serna
  83. WordCamp Philippines 2008 Video Highlights by Buddy Gancenia
  84. WordCamped by La Dolce Vita
  85. The WordCamp that was by Oliver Robillo
  86. WordCamp Philippines 2008: A Blast! Rein Winds
  87. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by On the 8 Spot
  88. WordCamp Philippines 2008: Awesome! by i.PH News and Updates
  89. WordCamp: Developing Wordpress Plugins by Markku Seguerra
  90. A Day of Firsts! by Sablay.Org
  91. WordCamp Made Me Sick by Charmed Mom
  92. WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Aileen Apolo
  93. I was at WordCamp Philippines 2008 by Sun Choke
  94. My Wordcamp 2008 Experience by Chiq Montes
  95. My WordCamp Philippines 2008 Story by Ria Jose
  96. WordCamp Philippines = WIN by Dean Lozarie

Please let me know if you have a post about the event; I'd be glad to add it to the list of links. :D

I also have some rough photos of the event:


--
UPDATE:
Found this news article covering WordCamp Philippines 2008 from GMANews.TV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Admitted to the MBA Program

Making the Grade

My Experience with the Embassy of India in Manila