True or False: BS Can Lead You Into The Promised Land


When I got my feedback from my mentor, I was initially disappointed because he essentially told me that I have been settling for mediocrity. Using Prof. Borromeo's words, my performance has been "blah." OK, I get it.

However, I've had the chance to ruminate on that feedback session and I thought that he made a lot of sense-- if I've been settling in my comfort zone, then there's really no point in giving me an impressive feedback. I thought, well, at least that feedback has been relative to what I could do and my potential.

Now the nasty part: After a few days, I got wind of some other people's feedback and I'm just dumbfounded. Some classmates who I thought were either so-so or a BS-machine (and I know they aren't really stellar) had a higher watch grade than me. Now, I don't want to sound like a whiner but I share on of my classmate's sentiments that the watch grades ride too much on perception and professor recall.

Now, all this has made me come to the conclusion that shoveling crap can actually get you somewhere. However, I'm not inclined to take that route since it is against my personal beliefs. Also, I'd rather fail doing my thing than get good marks doing something not attuned to my values.

However, in a very competitive and pressure packed environment, being too idealistic (and to a certain degree proud and inflexible) can be the thing that puts you in the bottom rung, or even give you your ticket out of business school. So the question now is: To BS or Not To BS?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have been reading your blog for sometime now - from your writing it seems that you are more of a martyr than a B-school student...comeon man get a grip...a B-school is a tough enviornment and it often makes the best bite dust - coz its not academic at all its all about application of concepts -- what you are calling crap resonated with your profs and thats how this world works...nothing is right ...its what resonate with your client or buyer that sells..and if you can't do that then you should go back to the world of academia ..and chase a PHD....
Unknown said…
Hello Anonymous,

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.

I don'agree with you in a lot of respects. My beef with the BS is that it is not practical at all.

I do share your sentiments that B-school is tough, and a lot of times it leaves you scratching your head. But I do maintain that I'm not playing the BS game.
Anonymous said…
For your peace of mind, Reg:

Corporate Lesson #5:

A turkey was chatting with a bull. "I would love to be able to ! get to the top of that tree" sighed the turkey, "but I haven't got the energy."

"Well, why don't you nibble on my droppings?" replied the bull.

"They're packed with nutrients." The turkey pecked at a lump of dung and found that it gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the
tree.

The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second
branch.

Finally after a fourth night, there he was proudly perc! hed at the top of the tree. Soon he was spotted by a farmer, who shot the turkey out of the
tree.

Moral of the story: Bullshit might get you to the top,but it won't keep
you there.

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Grade

Getting Admitted to the MBA Program

Good Bye, Dorm Life