January 23, 2009

Substitute Teacher


Yesterday, I substituted for Prof. Richard Cruz in handling the second session of the Online Marketing elective that we're handling with Prof. Titos Ortigas. The class was a lecture and I discussed foundation topics on internet advertising, particularly Google's AdWords service.

I think it went pretty well, considering it was my first time to teach in a class at the Asian Institute of Management (I've taught at the University of the Philippines prior). Good thing the session was more of a lecture than a typical case discussion, because I think one needs a great deal of time honing the skills needed to handle a classic Harvard-style case discussions.

As a student, I want to think I did OK on case discussion on the subjects I liked (anything that doesn't have finance on it), but I think it's totally different where you're on the other end of the room, standing in front of the class. There were times in class where I would just go into cruise control-- I just took it easy and lose focus of the discussion. I now appreciate the amount of effort and attention professors have during classes because they have to keep track of everything going on the class and weigh everyone's points.

2 comments:

Ely Ho said...

Hello, by the way, I want to say that I'm reading your blog to inspire me to study at AIM 7 years from now!!!!

You did well, I think.

Regnard Raquedan said...

Hello Ely!

Thanks for the kind words. :)