Close Fight


It was a close good, close fight indeed. And in the end the better politician won.

With a tally of 89-85-80, I came second in the election for the Asian Institute of Management Student Association. Yes, I lost by a very small margin (so small that a five vote swing from the trailing candidates will affect the outcome) and I have nothing to be ashamed of-- the school-wide elections were fair and I feel I lost in my own terms.

I would like to thank this opportunity to thank those who supported me during the campaign. Seeing people wearing blue as a sign of support last election day was reward enough for me. I am humbled really by the number of the people who voted and believed in what I could bring to the Student Association. Congratulations to the newly elected officers!

--

The very short campaign period was something I enjoyed. I really liked strategizing and applying the some of the stuff I learned in Marketing Management (MM). From designing my campaign poster to the little flyers I distributed, I felt the labor I put in contributed to my end goal of reaching to the various students of the different programs (MBA, MM, MDM).

--

Speaking of MM, we had our presentation for our major market research project today. For that project, we were tasked to do a market research for Starbucks Coffee-- having Focus Group Discussions (FGD) and Usage, Attitude and Image surveys, as well as doing various environmental and internal analysis.

Preparing for the presentation was like doing a group WAC since our group was up until five o'clock in the morning. We were still crunching data with Excel and SPSS in the wee hours of the night and I was still busting out the correlations and Chi squares just before I took a nap. The funny thing was we had Quantitative Analysis (QA) class at 8 o'clock.

We drew lots and we had the (mis)fortune presenting first. Our presentation went OK, but we again dropped the ball on developing a positioning recommendation for Starbucks, based on our market data. We are to submit a paper on our findings tomorrow and that's another challenge for our group.

Aside from enjoying the whole project, I really learned a lot and my respect for market research just skyrocketed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Grade

Getting Admitted to the MBA Program

My Experience with the Embassy of India in Manila